Thursday, August 19, 2010

Is this working?

I have a life theory that I've been trying for a few years; I sometimes call it "putting it out there" and sometimes call it "paying it forward"
I've never seen this movie, but the diagram seems approximately right:


Basically, I try to put a lot of positive energy out into the world and hope some of it comes back to me. Positive energy usually means talking to strangers, whether I directly enlist their help, "I'm having a baby - wish me luck!" (to my cab driver) or whether I commiserate with someone, "I know, I wanted to punch that lady in the face, too!". I think the system works most of the time.

However, I'm not Cat Deeley, so I can't always be positive. And when I get negative, I get really negative. I dream up biting remarks I'd like to make to strangers, my stomach gets all knotty, and I make sweeping, over the top exclamations like, "if the client keeps rewriting the spots, they're going to be the worst spots of all time and the people who make the Toyota 'Saved by Zero' campaign will make fun of us". Do you think the vehemence of my negative energy is canceling out all my positive energy?

2 comments:

T!!!! said...

That's so funny, I feel like you just described me, too. And yes, I believe it balances each other out. Plus, if you were that happy-go-positive-energy champ all the time, I think we all can agree that it would be creepy.

LuckyGirl said...

That paying it forward diagram also looks suspiciously like a pyramid scheme. Just sayin'.